This weekend I took to the kitchen to do what I do best and that’s cook! I was in the mood for something a little sweet but still healthy for you. So, after perusing the contents of my refrigerator and freezer, I came across a bag of frozen, Organic Mixed Berries.
Normally, I would save my frozen berries to make smoothies. It never, ever occurred to me to make a Berry Crisp. Geeez, all those delicious berry desserts I could have consumed. I feel like I cheated myself all these years.
I just love the smell of a fruit crisp bubbling in the oven. Top it with something cold and creamy and I have died and gone to heaven! It brings back some very fond memories of my Grandma’s kitchen when I was a child. She always made the best fruit desserts using the fresh fruit from her garden.
I know it’s berry season here in South Carolina but fresh berries last 3.2 seconds in my house and I do mean 3.2 seconds. We love berries just that much! I pretty much polish off the blueberries while putting the groceries away. Mr. R, well, he grabs the strawberries and raspberries demolishing them before I’m done.
This Berry Crisp is super easy to put together and makes a wonderful dessert whether your entertaining or just want to treat your family to an after-dinner healthy dessert. It only requires general pantry staples you probably already have on hand. You can top this delicious dessert with Vanilla Ice Cream, Fresh Whipped Cream or in this case, I made a simple Lemony Yogurt Sauce (recipe follows) using the pantry items I had on hand. Trust me on this, YOU will be the hit of the evening after your family or guests sample this delectable dessert!
If you are lucky enough to have leftovers this Berry Crisp makes a pretty awesome breakfast too. The oats get a little oatmeal like with crisp bits from the brown sugar and the texture of the nuts brings it all together to form a delicious oatmeal.
Are you ready to get started?
- 1 bag (approximately 4 cups) of Mixed Berries
- 3 TB Raw Honey
- 3 TB All Purpose Flour
- Zest from 1 Lemon
- Dash of salt
- 3/4 Cup Old Fashioned Oats
- 1/4 Nuts (almonds, cashews, pistachios), chopped
- 1/2 cup Organic Brown Sugar
- 6 TB All Purpose Flour
- 1 Stick (1/2 cup) Salted Butter
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- In a mixing bowl, add berries, honey, flour, lemon zest and salt
- Mix well until the berries are coated and the flour is mixed in well
- Set aside
- In another mixing bowl, add oats, nuts, brown sugar, flour, and butter
- Using your hands, mix in the butter until you get small pea sized bits
- Spread the berry mixture in an ungreased 8x8 baking dish
- Add the topping and spread to an even layer across the berry mixture
- Bake for approximately 1 hour until berry mixture is bubbly and the topping is golden brown
- You can use either frozen or fresh berries. You can pretty much use any of your favorite fruits. So experiment and make this recipe your own!
- Make dish up through the assembly instructions cover tightly and put in freezer
- Place the frozen dish in the oven and bake for approximately 1 hour
- 1 cup Organic Whole Milk Yogurt
- 1 TB Raw Honey (or to taste)
- Zest of 1 Lemon
- In a small mixing bowl, mix yogurt, honey and lemon zest
- Store in refrigerator until ready to use
- I took this recipe just one small step further and stored the yogurt topping in the freezer until I was ready to use it. It turned out to be a slightly frozen yogurt which paired perfectly with the warm gooey Berry Crisp
See you in the comments,