I was at the market this weekend and found some beautiful fresh spring greens and herbs I just had to pick up. Salad is one of our favorites for dinner especially in the Spring and Summer when the greens are so fresh and at their peak for all those nutritious vitamins and minerals.
When I got back to my kitchen, I realized I had quite a few leftovers I needed to reinvent into another meal. I had the makings for a Salad Dinner Bowl! I call this a Salad Dinner Bowl because it’s much more than just a salad, it’s heartier than just greens on a plate. It’s more satisfying with the addition of a few sliced boiled potatoes, pickled beets, hardboiled egg and let’s not forget the beautiful grilled sirloin steak Mr. R mastered at the grill.
The crunchy texture of the spring greens, creamy boiled potatoes, crispy pickled onions and beets, caramelized sirloin slices, tart blue cheese crumbles … man oh man it’s a party in your mouth. After the party is over, your belly is feeling full and satisfied as though you just ate a 5 course meal at your favorite steakhouse.
If you have family members, a.k.a. husbands/partners, who snub their nose at having a salad for dinner than this is the meal for them. It showcases all the elements men tend to gravitate to … meat and potatoes … and the satisfyingly full feeling of eating a hearty meal. All that in just a bowl!
Now what’s a delicious Salad Dinner Bowl without an equally delicious Herb Vinaigrette? I would say a little boring, wouldn’t you? If your family is not a big fan of Vinaigrettes you can substitute the dressing for say a Creamy, Dreamy Parmesan Dill Dressing. Just substitute the blue cheese crumbles for a little shaved parmesan cheese.
Another great thing about this recipe it’s a must for busy families. If you are like me, on busy days I have a hard time getting Mr. R to the table at the same time as myself. He might be working late or I’m working late, which is usually the case. So when I need a little break from writing, I tend to clear my mind cooking in the kitchen. This is a great meal that I can prepare and keep in the refrigerator for Mr. R when he’s ready to finally sit down and have his meal. It actually gets better the longer you let the flavors marry. That makes it a double win for me!
Are you salivating yet? Well then, let’s get to the recipe shall we …
- Fresh Organic Spring Greens
- 2 Organic Yukon Gold Potatoes, boiled
- 5 Organic Radishes, thinly sliced
- 3 Organic Hard Boiled Eggs, peeled and quartered
- Your Choice of Protein (Chicken, Pork or Beef), thinly sliced or cubed
- Pickled Beets and Onions, generously garnished
- Blue Cheese crumbles, as a garnish
- Herb Vinaigrette
- In a mixing bowl, lightly toss potatoes, eggs and radishes
- Add sea salt and pepper, to taste
- If using a Vinaigrette, lightly drizzle the potato mixture
- If using a cream based dressing, omit this step
- Set aside
- In a salad bowl, add a generous bed of spring greens
- Add the potato mixture in an even layer
- Add your choice of protein
- Generously garnish with pickled beets and onions
- Top with blue cheese crumbles
- Dress with herb vinaigrette
- On busy nights when your family is eating in shifts, store all ingredients in separate containers and place in the refrigerator so that they can quickly assemble their salad when they are ready for their meal.
- This makes a healthy, hearty satisfying meal for everyone!
See you in the comments,