Summertime at this house means it’s Mussel time! We love Mussels! They are super easy to prepare, inexpensive and incredibly nutritious. Mussels are a rich source of essential vitamins and minerals such as:
- B vitamins,
- Vitamin C,
- Folate, Iron,
- Vitamin B-12
Mussels are also a lean protein and ounce for ounce they provide the same amount of high quality protein as red meat without the saturated fats. Not only that, Mussels are a rich source of heart healthy Omega-3 Fatty Acids. Now what is there not to love about Mussels?!
This recipe for Mussels in a Creamy, Garlic Sauce is my favorite way to make them. They are steamed in a combination of garlic, shallots, butter and white wine. Once open, I remove them from the cooking liquid, add cream, milk, lemon zest, chopped parsley and return the Mussels to the pan. I have got to tell you, trying to describe their flavor is difficult but what my favorite thing about this is eating a Mussel from the shell then dipping a crusty piece of bread into the creamy sauce. These are flavors that simply cannot be described but certainly need to be experienced.
Is your mouth watering yet? Mine is … so let’s move on to that recipe, like right now, okay?!
- 3lbs of fresh Mussels, cleaned and debearded
- 1 Shallot, finely chopped
- 4 cloves of Garlic, minced
- 1 cup of your favorite White Wine
- 1 stick of Butter, (I used KerryGold)
- A handful of Parsley, chopped
- 1 cup Whole Milk
- 1/2 cup Heavy Cream
- The zest of 1 Lemon
- Sea Salt and Cracked Black Pepper, to taste
- In a large stainless steel pan add shallots, garlic, butter and white wine
- Saute until shallot are opaque and butter is melted
- Add mussels and combine
- Cover and simmer until Mussels are opened
- Remove Mussels from pan and set aside
- Add milk, cream, lemon zest and parsley
- Mix and let simmer until warm
- Add parsley
- Return Mussels to pan and spoon sauce over them
- Cover and simmer for just a few more minutes and serve
- When cleaning your Mussels, if there are any that are open discard them. Mussels should remain closed until cooked.
- You absolutely must serve this with a nice crusty bread to soak up all the luscious creamy sauce. You will not regret the indulgence!
See you in the comments,