If you live in the South then you probably have a large stash of beautiful Southern peaches. I know I do! I use my stash to make Warm Southern Peach Cobbler and this Zesty Peach Salsa.
This Zesty Peach Salsa is absolutely gorgeous! The combination of colors creates a beautiful presentation, while the delicious blend of sweet and spicy flavors makes it a wonderful addition to simply prepared fish, chicken or pork dishes. This one is a keeper, for sure!
Tip: Soak the red onion in a cup of water for 10-15 minutes before using to reduce its strong flavor and odor.
For best results, make this salsa the night before serving so the flavors have a chance to blend. This will also soften the peaches and onion to a nice consistency.
- 6 fresh peaches, pits removed and cut into small pieces
- 3 T. fresh lime juice
- ½ medium shallot, minced
- 3 T. red onion, cut into small, thin slices
- 1-2 t. jalapeno peppers, seeds and veins removed, and very finely minced
- 3 T. fresh cilantro leaves, stems removed and chopped
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Combine all ingredients in a glass bowl and stir to combine. (Start with a very small amount of jalapeno pepper and taste before adding more). Season with salt and pepper. Cover with plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator overnight or on the counter at room temperature for at least 30 minutes.
- Serve with orange roughy foil packets or other minimally seasoned fish, chicken or pork recipe. This can also be served in place of regular salsa with tortilla chips.
See you in the comments,