This post contains affiliate links to products I use myself and personally recommend.
If you haven’t tried foil packet cooking, you are in for a real treat! Preparation only takes a few minutes and clean up is a breeze. You can use this method indoors year round, or toss the packets onto your grill to enjoy a light and healthy meal during the warmer months.
This recipe uses orange roughy filets, but this technique can be used with any type of fish, lean protein and veggie combination.
You can use fresh or preserved lemons to make this recipe. I recommend trying the preserved lemons because they add a lot more flavor. You can either buy a container of preserved lemons or easily make your own with Himalayan salt blocks. A word of caution, however, if you use preserved lemons, don’t add additional salt to the filets without tasting.
Tip: Many types of fish can be tricky to cook directly on the grill because they tend to fall apart. So, cook it in a foil packet, instead. As an added bonus, there is no reason to defrost frozen fish before cooking with this method. Simply place the frozen fish in the pocket as you normally would and leave on the grill a few minutes longer than normal.
- 4 orange roughy filets
- 12 slices fresh or salt-cured preserved lemon
- 8 slices fresh lime
- 2 T. fresh cilantro, stems removed and chopped
- 1 T. fresh jalapeno pepper, seeds and veins removed and finely chopped
- 4 T. unsalted butter
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- If preparing indoors, preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Tear off 4 sheets of aluminum foil into sections large enough to fold over filets, with another couple of inches on each side to seal. Place a filet slightly off center on each sheet and add 3 lemon slices and 2 lime slices on top of each. Top each filet with ¼ of the cilantro and jalapeno pepper. Top with 1 T. of butter and sprinkle with salt and pepper, to taste.
- To seal packet, fold aluminum foil in half over the ingredients. Fold the 3 open sides, one at a time, over several times to seal the packet completely. The goal is to seal the packet tight enough to hold in the steam, but allow enough room for the air to expand.
- Place foil packet in preheated oven for 15 minutes, or place on hot grill over medium, direct heat and cook for approximately 8 - 10 minutes. Add a couple minutes to your cooking time if starting with frozen filets.
- To serve, open the foil packets, carefully avoiding the hot steam. Discard lemon and lime slices. Transfer filets to plates (if desired) or leave inside foil packets. Top with Zesty Peach Salsa and serve.
See you in the comments,