Fall is a great time to start new date night traditions, don’t you think? After you’ve been married for 20, 30, 40 years it seems that the typical date night consists of dinner at a favorite restaurant and a movie. You have done this same date night routine for years and, well, it just seems like it has lost its magic. It has become a routine. A routine is not magical it’s boring, very boring.
Now don’t get me wrong, I love trying a new restaurant or frequenting an old favorite. I love going to the movies too. Just not on date night … where is the romantic interaction? When you dine you eat, you don’t speak. When you go to the movies, you watch the movie … still no speaking taking place, right? The ride home can be a little boring after the discussion of what a great movie or dinner it was. If you’re like me, all you really want is to get home kick off your heels, take off your bra and jump into your comfy pajamas. Then it’s “Goodnight Sweetheart, thank you for the night out.” Seriously, where is the romance in that?
Well, this year I’m making it my mission to change up our date night routine to include more one on one time with each other. You know, where we are actually communicating and interacting with each other. You do remember how to do that don’t you?
This post contains affiliate links to products I recommend and personally use
Date nights don’t always have to be about spending money on a night out. Date nights can be very romantic and magical right at home. The children have left the house or if you still have teens at home, they are having their own date nights leaving the house to just the two of you. All it takes is a bit of creative planning, marking the day on the calendar and BAM! You have date night!
Here are 9 ideas I have come up with to shake up the date night routine! I can almost feel the magic .. can’t you?
- A Bonfire: There is just something about a bonfire that screams romance to me. I love it when Mr. R calls for a bonfire night. The chilly air, the warm glow of the fire, roasted marshmallows and some light jazz. Yeah … now we’re talking romantic. If you have limited options for a fire pit where you live, the addition of a contained, steel fire pit on your porch or deck is a fabulous alternative and don’t forget the roasting forks for the marshmallows! This would also be a great time to sample some of the new Fall craft beers, too.
- Star Gazing on the Roof is another of my Fall favorites. But, you don’t really have to get on the roof to get the best view of heaven’s constellations any clear opening in your yard will do. There are numerous star chart apps that you can download to your phone to help you identify the constellations. After that, all you need is a cup of warm apple cider and a blanket.
- Fall Premiere Night: Next week is the premiere of all the new Fall TV Shows! Yeah! Mr. R and I have a few shows that we have watched since Season One and we always look forward to seeing the new Fall premieres. This year we are especially excited about The Big Bang Theory (our fav), Kevin Can’t Wait, The Good Place, This is Us, MacGyver and Last Man Standing (another fav of ours). Why not make it a date night, right? Just make sure you DVR them for a weekend night, add a simple charcuterie platter and cozy up on the couch together with a warm blanket.
- Prepare a Special Dinner Together: Who needs a fancy restaurant when you can prepare it at home together for half the price! I can’t think of a better way to come together than in the kitchen. He’s the Sous Chef, while your the Kitchen Chef making a beautiful meal for your date night. When dinner is ready, make sure you light candles throughout the house, add a little of your favorite music, a glass of wine and maybe a little Oo La La. Here’s a menu idea to get you started: Appetizer, Mussels in a Creamy Garlic Sauce, Entree, Steak Oscar, Salad, Panko Encrusted Goat Cheese Croutons with Mixed Greens, Dessert, pick up a delectable dessert from your favorite bakery and let’s not forget about the wine!
- Scary Movie Night: Everyone enjoys a scary movie especially in the Fall, whether you rent, buy or stream there are plenty to choose from. So grab your honey, get comfy on the couch and most of all don’t forget the popcorn! Here are a few special popcorn ideas for you, White Chocolate Pumpkin Spice Popcorn, Samoas Popcorn, and Sour Cream & Onion Popcorn.
- Game Night: Turn off the TV and turn on your favorite music for Game Night! Mr. R and I love to play Scrabble on game night. We have a notebook that we use to keep score that we have used for the last 15 years lol and so far Mr. R is in the number one spot! But, not for long … because I’m always catching him making up words that he thinks will just go right past me. Ha! Not a chance, Sir … I have the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary to shut him out lol … sneaky sneaky man 🙂
- Fondue Night: Fondue is an easy and fun way to spend a special night with the one you love. Light some candles and grab two electric fondue pots, one for savory and one for sweet, your favorite dippers, a bottle of wine and you are set to enjoy some delicious morsels with your Sweetie. Here are few fondue recipes to get you started: Surf & Turf Fondue, Brie & Chive Fondue, Spinach & Artichoke Fondue and Easy Chocolate Caramel Fondue. However, if you find yourself really getting into Fondue Night like Mr. R and I then make sure you pick up a copy of The Fondue Bible and work your way through 200 excellent recipes.
- Massage Exchange Night: Yes please! I can’t think of one person who doesn’t appreciate a good massage. Take a relaxing shower or bubble bath with your Honey, turn the lights down low, light a few candles, chill a bottle of wine and turn on the mood music for a night of massages. Trust me, you will wake up feeling refreshed and a little bit closer as a couple.
- Chopped Challenge Night: If you both love to cook why not have your very own Chopped Challenge right at home? All you need is a friend to be kind enough to pack up 2 baskets of undisclosed ingredients and off you go! I really like this one but Mr. R is not very proficient in the kitchen on his own lol! So I’ll probably save this for a stay in girl’s night out with my bestie.
Here are a few more ideas for romantic date nights with the one you love! 7 Delightful Ways an Empty Nester Can Celebrate Fall This Year
There you have it 9 excellent stay at home date night ideas to bring a little more fun and romance into your life!
Have you tried a stay at home date night with your special someone? I’d love to hear how it turned out!
See you in the comments,