If you haven’t tried purple potatoes, you are in for a real treat. Purple potatoes are packed with powerful disease fighting antioxidants and have a higher fiber content than their white counterparts. Not to mention, the lovely purple hue gives a beautiful visual presentation to any dish. For these roasted root vegetables, I combined purple potatoes and golden beets for a truly regal effect.
A few things should be noted, purple potatoes should never be used for mashing, the purple hue looses its visual presentation with purple mashed potatoes. If you store the leftovers in the refrigerator the hue gets deeper and looks very unappetizing. Also of note, the exposed potato flesh turns brown while roasting. For best visual results, slice the vegetables at least ½” thick and carefully remove the browned outer skins before serving. (Don’t discard! The crispy browned layer tastes delicious).
This extra step takes a little more time, but you will be rewarded with a vibrant purple hue that will elevate your salads or side dishes from basic to extraordinary.
This post contains affiliate links to products I recommend and personal use myself
You may also enjoy Roasted Green Beans with Parmesan & EVOO and Strip Steak & Root Veggie Salad with Gorgonzola Dressing
25 minPrep Time
30 minCook Time
55 minTotal Time
- 2 T. olive oil
- 3 purple potatoes, peeled and cut into ½” slices
- 2 large golden beets, peeled and cut into ½” slices
- 1 T. citrus salt
- 8-10 sprigs fresh thyme, leaves removed and stems discarded (optional)
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. In a glass bowl, toss the sliced potatoes and beets with the olive oil .
- Arrange coated vegetable slices in a single layer, leaving space between them. Sprinkle with citrus salt and thyme leaves. Place baking sheet in pre-heated oven and roast about 15 minutes before turning. Continue baking another 10-15 minutes or until beets and potatoes are fork tender.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool before handling. Remove browned potato skins before serving to reveal the gorgeous color underneath.
- Serve as a side dish or add to your favorite mixed green salad for a bold splash of color.
What are your favorite vegetables to roast in the Fall?
See you in the comments,