This super easy cucumber recipe is a great way to savor the delicious, natural flavors of fresh cucumber, basil, garlic, and toasted pine nuts. Cucumber Noodles with Pesto is great on its own, as a lovely side dish, with your favorite cut of meat or topped with shrimp or salmon.
I love to make a batch of this to keep in the refrigerator for a refreshing yet filling lunch. It also pairs nicely with my Chicken Salad Lettuce Wraps especially on those days when you’re looking for something a little more filling. The best thing is it’s easy on the carbs and extremely healthy. It’s just one more way to get all those veggies in your diet.
You can use either a jarred ready made pesto sauce or you can make my Fresh Pesto to bring this recipe to the next level. I have used both but there is nothing that can compare to Fresh Pesto especially if you make it the traditional way using a mortar and pestle. Either way, you are sure to be pleased with this low carb, healthy recipe.
Speaking of healthy, cucumbers are often over looked for their health benefits but they are a powerhouse and rich in Vitamin A, B1, B6, C & D, Folate, Calcium, Magnesium, and Potassium which means cucumbers have most of the vitamins the body needs in a single day. Cucumbers are also 95 percent water which makes them an excellent source for rehydrating.
This Cucumber Noodle recipe calls for leaving the skin on and it’s a good thing because the skin of a cucumber contains 10 percent of the daily recommended allowance of vitamin C. Wow no wonder I love cucumbers … they love me back!
Yields 4 Servings
20 minTotal Time
- 4 large firm seedless cucumbers, peeled
- ½ c. fresh pesto
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Prepare fresh pesto recipe
- Using a spiral slicer, cut cucumbers into thick, long noodles. (If using the Paderno Tri-Blade Vegetable Spiral Slicer, use the medium “chipper” blade to create slightly thicker strands).
- Cut the noodles with kitchen scissors once they reach 10-12” long. Place cut noodles on paper or clean kitchen towels and gently blot to absorb excess moisture.
- Place cucumber noodles in a medium, non-reactive bowl and top with fresh pesto . Toss gently to combine. Season with salt and pepper, to taste, and serve immediately.
Do you have a healthy and creative way to use cucumbers? I’d love to hear about them!
See you in the comments,